PLAYER INJURY POLICY – 2021
- There is a change in the GAA Membership and Injury Fund online system for 2021 whereby players cannot be registered for injury cover through the GAA until membership has been paid.
- Coaches are responsible for overseeing this with their underage groups while adult players will need to take responsibility for their own injury cover with regard to this change.
- Fenagh St. Caillins G.A.A operates an insurance policy under the GAA Player Injury Scheme. The GAA Scheme is an injury fund paid for by the GAA to cover injuries. It is not an insurance scheme. If players have their own private health insurance (VHI, Laya, etc.) they must claim under their private policy. If the private policy does not cover the full amount, a claim can then be made to the GAA Scheme to cover the balance.
- If a player is injured during a match it must be included in the referee’s report.
- If injured in training the club Insurance Officer or Secretary must be notified and claims must be signed and reported to the GAA Scheme administrator within 60 days.
- The club shall make payments to players after the GAA Scheme has reimbursed the club in respect of those medical expenses.
- The first €100 of each claim is not covered under the scheme (policy excess).
- Payments from the GAA Scheme are capped at €4,500. If a claim exceeds this then the Club will cover an additional €1,500 to provide a total of €6,000 per claim.
- It is mandatory for, and the responsibility of each individual player to use a mouth guard.
- Routine physiotherapy is no longer covered under the GAA Scheme. The club have an “Official Club Physio” to treat players who have been injured in a club match or training session. Injured players must have prior approval from the club before attending the designated club physio.
- If a player is injured during a match/training and needs to attend “Now Doc” then it is the policy of the club to reimburse expenses incurred.
- The decision of the Fenagh St. Caillins G.A.A club executive officers is final in relation to this policy.
(Ratified at Executive Meeting April 2021)